- Available Locations
- How do I register for this service?
- Contact us
- Meet the team
- Useful resources and links
TypeAdult Services - Specialist Nursing - Heart Failure Nurse
The Community Heart Failure Team supports and helps people with heart failure to manage their condition at home. We provide a specialised service to patients who are unable to self-manage their condition and avoid hospital admission. This is achieved through teaching and support for patients, their families and other health professionals.
Who is this service for? Adults with heart failure to help them manage their disorder.
How do I register for this service?
All referrals must be housebound and unable to attend hospital appointments and must be adults over the age of 18.
All referrals must have an echo result that demonstrates either heart failure with a reduced ejection fraction or heart failure with preserved ejection fraction due to valve disease or uncontrolled atrial fibrillation.
Initial referrals must be made by a medical practitioner or health professional.
- Recent hospital admission for deteriorating heart failure, with a high risk of readmission.
- Newly diagnosed with heart failure with a high risk of readmission to hospital.
- Unstable clinical condition in the community.
- Optimisation of medications
- Those with an echo demonstrating LVSD, diastolic dysfunction, right-sided heart failure and valve disease
- Patients who may benefit from additional specialist support to prevent readmissions.
- Patients reaching their end of life with heart failure.
*This is not a 24-hour service or an emergency service but we are happy to discuss patients to offer support and guidance until they can be assessed.
The Community Heart Failure service is provided by two full time qualified nurses, 1 for the south of the county and 1 for the north of the county
North of the county
Northants, NN16 8TD
Telephone: 07919 497695
South of the county
Northants, NN11 4DY
Mobile: 07827 878492
Meet the team
Heart Failure Nurse
- We support early diagnosis of heart failure within the community using echocardiography and other diagnostic techniques.
- We detect and treat early signs of clinical deterioration and reduce the need for unnecessary hospital admissions and re-admissions.
- We work alongside the heart failure teams of Kettering and Northampton General Hospitals. We optimise the management of people with chronic heart failure and provide seamless care between hospital and general practice.
- Our approach is to actively encourage and support self-management. We identify and develop support mechanisms for both patients and their carers, assisting in improving their quality of life. We also aim to improve the end of life experience for patients and their carers.
- We act as a resource for other healthcare professionals. Referrals to our service can be made by any healthcare professional.
- We work closely with palliative care service, district nurse service and GPs.