We greatly value the very important role that carers play in supporting people who use our services. We want to work in partnership with you to provide the best treatment and support. We also recognise that, on occasions, you also need support and have a statutory right to an assessment of your own needs.
We believe you are a carer if you are providing help or support to a child, relative or friend who experiences physical or mental ill health, whether you give practical help or emotional support
We have developed a carer's charter by which you can judge our service to you.
As a Trust, we will:
- listen to you without bias or prejudice
- take what you say seriously
- recognise you as someone providing support to the person for whom you care and respect you accordingly
- value you as someone who has relevant and important knowledge about the person you care for
- ask your opinion, respect and value your views and, where necessary, keep these confidential
- explain how we will use any information you provide
- give you the choice on whether you wish to continue with your role as a carer
- work in partnership with Northamptonshire Carers to support you in your caring role.
You can expect us to:
- involve you in decisions about you and the person you care for (with appropriate consent), including the preparation of their care plan
- make sure you know whom to contact in an emergency or crisis
- give you a copy of the care plan (with appropriate consent) and in a format that suits you. This should set out the responsibilities of all the people involved in providing care and will vary depending on the service provided
- give you the opportunity to tell us if you feel the care plan is not working and involve you in discussions about any actions to address this
- hold meetings at a time that suits both you and the person you care for
- respect and be sensitive to your needs and wishes
- arrange help for you to communicate your views should you require it
- advise you of action to take if you are unhappy about any aspect of the care we provide.
Our NHFT Carer Strategy 2017/18 can also be found below:
If you need support regarding any aspect of your role as a carer, including a carer assessment please contact Northamptonshire Carers.