The Trust’s Chaplains have extensive training in spirituality, religion and mental health. They also have a wide experience of counselling. The Chaplains are supported by a dedicated team of volunteers and inter-faith partners.
Spirituality recognises that the journey of making sense of our experiences embraces soul and spirit, as well as mind and body. This may, or may not, be expressed through religious practices. The Chaplains can accompany service users and/or their carers on this journey or simply provide an opportunity to discuss how the experience of an illness impacts on their lives.
The Chaplains can also help people of all faith traditions to find worship resources, either in the hospital chapel, through their Community Team, or by contact with their faith community. The Chaplains are committed to working in the hospitals and in the community. They seek to encourage faith groups in their support for service users, and work in partnership with other healthcare professionals.
Who we are here for
We are here for anyone who has a spiritual need, whether or not they belong to a faith group.
What we do
- We provide support both in hospitals, care centres and in the community, for you, your carers and family
- We offer encouragement, comfort, prayer and support as you explore life issues. These may include loss and bereavement
- We work alongside the teams of healthcare staff as they work with you towards your recovery and as they support your religious or spiritual needs. This may be while you are in hospital or if your care is focused within Community Teams
- We work in partnership with local representatives of many world faiths and may be able to contact them on your behalf
- We seek to provide an opportunity to discuss with you how your experiences make an impact on your life, by providing a safe and compassionate space where difficult things can be shared
- We listen.
The Sacred Place
St Mary's Hospital
Telephone: 01536 452290
Tel: 01604 685420
Spiritual Wellbeing Practitioner
The team email is: firstname.lastname@example.org