Getting involved with NHFT
There are a number of ways that patients, service users and carers can be involved and help to improve NHFT services.
Opportunities at NHFT include:
- Patient and involvement stories – this can be an important part of understanding what has happened to a patient and can be a part of a patient’s recovery
- Membership of working groups – this is related to the quality, service development and improvement that have been set up for a patient, service user and carer to involve themselves in the overall debate
- Staff recruitment and selection – involves interviewing new staff candidates
- PLACE inspections – visiting Trust sites to assess the quality of the care environment
- Staff training – various types of training for staff where patients, service users and carers can relate their own experiences
- Quality focus groups – participation in small groups to voice your thoughts about the quality of services
- Becoming a member of NHFT - stay up-to-date with local NHS care
- Bespoke project groups - from time to time there are several short-term groups set up to address a particular issue
What Involvement Means To Me
We asked some of our service users and carers what involvement meant to them. This is what they had to say:
- Hope that future mental health services will listen and act on service user, and carer views and experiences to improve services.
- Being able to share my expertise and experience
- Activity beyond my home. Constant learning opportunities. Feeling of self-worth and esteem.
- Involvement gives me a purpose and offers me value. It feels great to help others too and improve services gradually.
- Involvement is getting your voice heard (and acted upon).
- Having a voice and being equal to health professionals.
- An opportunity to share my knowledge of mental health services.
- A chance to experience NHFT services
- Involvement for me is a chance to assist in the recovery of people with mental health/addition problems
- Communication with others. Using knowledge to help improve services. Learning. Confidence building
- Taking part in something worthwhile to myself and others from start to finish, where I can feel like I have achieved.
Register your interest
Please complete the expression of interested form below:
Read our involvement strategy available here: Involvement Strategy 2018-19