TypePolice Liaison & Triage
The established Police Street Triage car provides a dedicated frontline police officer alongside a mental health professional, collaboratively working to ensure that all service users with mental health issues are effectively supported during what is often a challenging crisis period and that the specialist mental health skills provided by NHFT would allow timely assessment, treatment and appropriate pathway support at the initial point of contact.
Mental health incidents are identified either through proactive observation of police incidents as they occur, or through requests for assistance from officers within the control room or at incidents where officers feel that mental health assessment and direction would be of benefit both to the police and the service user.
- Provides effective specialist mental health assessment and risk management at the point of police community contact
- Supports the effective use of Section 136 of the Mental Health Act and reduce overall detentions under the act
- Reduces police time and resources at incidents that may be related to mental health issues
- Improves service user pathways into and through mental health services
- Develops robust care plan and management strategies to support officers in their response to service users who have frequent contact at the point of crisis
- Supports processes around the application of section 135 MHA
- Provides training and development of officers and police staff in the management of mental illness and risk.
The Triage car is part of the trusts wider Crisis Pathway which is developing to ensure that service users receive timely and effective mental health assessment and treatment within their community at the point of crisis. As such the triage car has full access to all of the existing NHFT pathways and treatment options allowing service users prompt access to effective treatment and pathway direction.
AddressNorthamptonshire Police - Force HQ, Wootton Hall, Northampton, Northamptonshire, NN4 0JQ
Contact us and opening hours
Northamptonshire Police - Force HQ
Northampts, NN4 0JQ
Telephone: 101 Extension: 342117
Mon–Thurs: 18.00 - 23.00
Fri–Sun: 18.00 - 00.00 (midnight)
There are currently no resources to display for this service.
Please contact the team via the 'contact us' section for more information.